marți, 11 august 2009

Pickle Juice

Last weekend I experienced a brutal charlie horse in my calf while swimming at a ward lake activity. Luckily I was at a place where I could touch bottom, so I didn't die. I may have otherwise. The intense spazzing (?) lasted about a minute, but for the rest of the night and in the days since then I've continued to have what feels like a huge matted knot in my calf. I've been drinking tons of water, gatorade, taking warm baths and massaging it, all to no avail.

Today a friend at the Institute told me to down some pickle juice to dissolve the lactic acid buildup. I was so desparate that I went to the store right after, bought a jar of pickle spears, ate a few, and then seriously drank half the jar.

I didn't have much of an appetite for dinner afterward, but I think it helped. It's been a few hours now and the huge painful knot seems to be leaving. Whew!

A couple of weeks ago I was having persistent tummy pains that mysteriously left when I ate a bunch of Twizzlers. A friend in food science nutrition told me that licorice does something to stimulate growth in the gut lining, which is why it helped. ???

Not having health insurance has played a big part in my willingness to try some of these home remedies, so feel free to offer any good ones you know!

2 comentarii:

Else spunea...

Bananas are also a good source of potassium so eat those to prevent charlie horses. I got those exact charlie horses all the time while on the swim team in high school and sometimes I was in the deep end and had to have help to the side. Then for a week afterwards I had to swim with a flotation device between my legs so I wouldn't use them while my leg was healing. Watch out for when you are pregnant and you accidentally stretch your calk muscles in the middle of the night. I suggest buying liquid calcuim and drinking that all the time.

Pammy spunea...

I hate Charlie Horses...I get them all the time while I'm sleeping. It sucks, cuz I wake up screaming from the pain. :( I'll have to try pickle juice. This is the second time I've heard that. I've also heard that bananas were good to try and prevent them.

I'm glad you could touch the bottom...I'd hate for a Charlie Horse to be the cause of your death...

By the way...I love you! You are awesome! And I miss you!