I have a huge grin on my face as this memory is surfacing...Ten years ago this week, I went off to BYU. I moved into Helaman Halls and met my roommate, Else Lassen (now Endecott). We began exploring campus together and were excited to share this new college experience.
On one of the days before school started (was it Labor Day?) we determined to hike up Y Mountain. We felt like that would be a proper way to start our BYU experience. We'd never done it before, but from Helaman Halls, it didn't seem like it could be that far of a hike. Neither of us had a car but we thought we'd be able to walk to the base of the mountain and then find the trail that led up to the Y.
We had no idea how ambitious we were being. We just started walking from Helaman Halls in the direction of the Y, not really knowing where to go but convinced it couldn't be that hard to get too. I can't even remember the route we took, seems like we passed the temple, but I do remember the steep streets we meandered through and the grueling heat...it was intense....We were totally wiped out before we even got to the trailhead. But we were determined to keep going, and keep going we did! It almost did us in, but we made it to the top.
Then we had to figure out how to get home.
We felt so proud but simultaneously dumb...it was such a great bonding experience. Maybe that's why 10 years later we are still the best of friends. :)
Un comentariu:
Oh Shannon, I am just sitting her laughing at our naivite (sp)!!! Do remember how we were so tired by the time we got down the mountain, we hitch hiked a ride home from some girls. We did it, and we did it later too, but it was a lot better experience. Thank you for so many wonderful years of frienship with some many funny and wonderful memories!! Can't wait to see you soon!!
Trimiteți un comentariu