I help lead a music therapy session at a rehab/nursing center every Tuesday. We've been going for about 2 months now and I've grown pretty fond of some of our regulars.
One of my favorites is a lady I'll call D. (In my ethics class we're being bombarded w/info about confidentiality, so you don't get her whole name!) D comes every week and always participates. I'm not sure of her exact diagnosis, but I'm guessing she's had a stroke because her speech is so impaired. She loves to sing along with us and has such a great attitude. Her joy really is contagious.
When we start the session we always do a "hello song" where we sing to each person present and use their name. I love seeing D sing to everyone else with such great enthusiasm, but especially love when she sings on her own verse. She seems oblivious to the fact that this is her special verse. She can't just sit there and be sung to--she enjoys it too much to stay quiet. :) She gives everything she's got whenever she's asked to do anything in our sessions. Manipulating instruments (tambourines, drums, maracas...) is no easy task for her but she pushes herself to do as much as she possibly can. And she loves it.
Despite how difficult her condition is she finds a way to spread joy, and I just wanted to say that I'm grateful for her example.
Niciun comentariu:
Trimiteți un comentariu