luni, 4 mai 2009

I Love What I'm Studying.


I thought it would be hard to find a major with classes as "fun" as I had in my elementary music ed program at BYU, but some of my classes here are getting pretty close. One of my assignments for tomorrow is to lead a class warm-up of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" on the guitar. Seeing as how we are at the stressful end of the semester, I think it's fitting. :)

That made me think about how much I really do enjoy what I'm studying. Aside from the enjoyment of music making, there is a lot behind this field that I am really drawn to (obviously). I realize I may get caught up and even complain from time to time about the workload(!) but I really do love it. I've started thinking about what kind of internship I'd like to pursue, and have become intrigued with the thought of working in a burn unit of a hospital. There was a Shriner's hospital in Galveston that offered internships until Ike destroyed it, but there may be other opportunities out there to look into. One of the reasons this population draws me in is because of all of the burn injuries we saw in Romania. At that point there wasn't much we could do for them, but the BYU Alumni magazine has a great article on a story that happened a few semesters after I was there. If you read it you'll see why it tugs at me, given my experience there.
In April's Ensign there is a quote from President Henry B. Eyring that I think fits:
"The Lord knows both what He will need you to do and what you will need to know. He is kind and He is all-knowing. So you can with confidence expect that He has prepared opportunities for you to learn in preparation for the service you will give."
Even though it didn't really make sense to me to put my teaching career on hold to pursue this degree, I know it's what I'm supposed to be doing. And I'm really grateful for this opportunity.

3 comentarii:

Mom spunea...

As soon as I saw the burn comment, it felt very, very right and it's all so much of the deep impression Heavenly Father shared with me when you were tiny that you would be one who made others feel better. I didn't know whether that meant medically, or mentally, or socially, or spiritually, or that maybe that the answer is just yes.

Else spunea...

You are such an inspiration to me. I am so glad that you know you are on the right path, the path Heavenly Father wants you to be on. I love the quote from Pres. Eyring. Sometimes I start to get discouraged with my path and wonder if I am going the right way... but then I get the prompting to trust Him and he will continue to guide my path. I love ya!! Any by the way Charlotte is getting so big and is waiting for Aunt Shannon to come hold her. :-)

Ellie spunea...

that is a great quote!