I am happy to send another Texas Christmas greeting this year! It’s been a full year that has brought some big changes. (For those who are wondering, unfortunately not “the” big change! Keep praying for me, please!) See how you do at discriminating a few of my 2008 highlights!
1.) This fall I put my teaching career on hold to:
a) do a year in the peace corps and go back to Romania
b) practice the organ 12 hrs a day w/hopes of becoming the next female tabernacle organist
c) begin a master’s degree in music therapy
d) go on tour with an undisclosed band
C—With lots of mixed emotions, I really felt like this it the time for me to go back to school and pursue the deep interest I’ve had for several years in music therapy. I do miss teaching elementary school music terribly, and hope to return to teaching in some capacity in the future. But I am excited to see where this path may take me, and feel like I’m a step closer to finding my deepest “niche.”
2.) The reason why a section of my ceiling had to be removed from my apartment in April was:
a) termites
b) tornado damage
c) dead possum
d) arson
D—No kidding, someone tried to burn my apartment building down in the middle of the night! They poured gasoline in the attic crawlspace right above my apartment (among others) and started a fire in the unit directly across the hall from me. Miraculously I awoke in the middle of the night to the gasoline smell and didn’t suffer any damage other than a gasoline soaked ceiling and a mild but healthy case of post traumatic stress disorder! Needless to say, I don’t live there anymore…
3.) Two weeks after the fire, while living temporarily with a friend, I took a trip to the ER because
a) I was bored
b) I thought it would be fun to just barely meet my deductible
c) I was hoping to meet a hot doctor
d) My broken foot really needed some attention
D—While C could have been a hidden motive, I really did need to be able to walk again someday. After 2 months on crutches and 3 months in a boot I finally regained my independence and could drive and function normally once more. It was a difficult couple of months, especially as I continued teaching and finished up the school year. My friends in Fort Worth were so amazing and good to me during this time!
4.) Something I did this year that I’d never done before was
a) cook the turkey at Thanksgiving
b) go hot-air ballooning
c) drive to the top of the highest paved road in North America
d) change my oil
C—On my way back from a trip to Utah this summer I stopped in Colorado and drove to the top of Mt. Evans in the Rockies. I learned from experience that it is NOT advisable to drive up a windy road with few guard rails and a 14,000 cliff for the first time in the dark, alone, during bad weather. (In my defense it was dry and light when I started!) I’ve never been so white knuckled driving! It felt like outer space by the time I got to the top and I only stuck around for about 5 minutes! Probably not something I’ll attempt again soon! But I can say I did it, ha!
* * * *
To sum it all up, I’m really doing great!!! I have been more than abundantly blessed and am excited for this opportunity to pursue this new degree. I was released as relief society president in my old singles ward and am now teaching temple prep classes in my new ward. I moved about an hour north of Fort Worth to Denton to attend Texas Woman’s University and I’m trying to figure out if that makes me a “Texas Woman” . . . I’m also working part time at a day care and taking organ lessons again, which I love!
I love you all and am grateful for your influences in my life and how you have helped shape who I am. I hope you are happy, well, and peaceful.
Merry Christmas 2008!
Lots of love from Texas,
Shannon :)
2 comentarii:
I love you, and reliving your 2008 experiences makes me so grateful for the friend that you are!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
This was way fun to read. I thought about copying it and doing somthing similar, but I just wasn't imaginative enough. :)
Trimiteți un comentariu