
Wow......So I just finished my internship and am actually on a plane right now flying back to Atlanta for Christmas (thanks free wifi!). Can I just say life is such an adventure?! My experience at Primary Children's in Salt Lake was incredible. I had some really meaningful and memorable opportunities to be with kids during some of their most difficult moments. A lot of my time was spent in the Pediatric ICU and the ICS unit (immuno-compromised...kids being treated for cancer, etc). Some of the most memorable times were when there was a kid in the PICU I was working with who was having a procedure done...they'd call for me to come assist during the wound-care, or IV placement, or whatever was needing to happen. I'd run down with the guitar, gown up with gloves and mask, and be at their bedside playing/singing/engaging them while everyone else was doing the medical stuff. It really is amazing to see how immediately music can bring down someone's heart rate, and how that relationship can assist with coping with long-term hospitalization. I loved being with those kids.
As my internship drew to a close, I decided to pursue part-time work in January so I could focus on writing my professional paper/thesis and get this degree knocked out, and it felt right to stay around in Utah for that. My mentor professor from BYU connected me with a job opening for part-time elementary music teaching at a charter school in Lindon. Things went really fast and within a couple days I had a job starting Jan 3. It's true that it's not music therapy work, but I think these next few months will be a good opportunity for me to finish my paper, re-group, and figure out where I really should be pursuing work. And in the meantime I get to be doing something I love. I have missed teaching and am excited to be back in the classroom, I just have to switch modes...again...!
So for the time being I am still living in Saratoga Springs with my friends Andrea and Ryan and their adorable little girl, and I no longer have to spend 3+ hours commuting every day! I am looking forward to getting home to play with my nieces and nephew, then getting back into the classroom after Christmas.
And that's my story. For now.
Un comentariu:
I sure love you! I am so glad you had such an amazing experience in your internship! Also so happy that you were able to find a teaching job and stay put rather than run off to another state and start all over again. Though Camarillo is a great place to run off to. :-) Merry Christmas!
Trimiteți un comentariu