duminică, 15 mai 2011

A Lesson in


About 2 weeks ago I was giving a ride to a girl in my ward. She's been home from her mission about a year and in school at BYU-I, but here for the summer. We'd chatted a few times last summer when she was here but still don't know each too well.

During that ride we were talking about goals and summer plans, and I was sharing some of my discouragement about getting my professional paper done (the final requirement for my master's degree) by the end of this summer, which had been my goal. Because the study I'm doing requires some very specific documentation from several hospital administrators across the country (who don't really care what my timeline is), I feel like I've been spinning my wheels for weeks without being able to move forward with my study as I've been trying to collect this paperwork, and the process is still dragging on.

I commented to her that realistically, it would probably be December before I can officially graduate because of this. Without knowing the IRB application requirements and the details of my project, she immediately replied, "Well, I will pray that you can finish this summer, and I hope that you can!" I thanked her but also said something along the lines of "I really don't see how it can happen....and I would rather prepare for the worst..." Again, her response: "Well I'll pray anyway. You never know."

As I worked through some things this week and have been in touch with a few people, I realized that there actually is still a chance that I can get this all tied up in time to be done before fall semester. I might actually have this degree finished this summer. There are still some timing things that are out of my control, but I've decided to follow Melissa's example and hope and pray for the best. Why not?!

So tonight I'm grateful for the prayers offered by someone else on my behalf, when my own faith was lacking. That probably happens more often than I realize.

2 comentarii:

Mom spunea...

Far, far more often. . . .

Anonim spunea...

I too will pray for you, but remember that faith is the substance of things hoped for and the Evidence of things not seen. It is an enduring principle, I believe in you. I have faith in you!!! Oh and a lesson Ive learned well, the greatest test of faith, is time. :)