When I was at home my younger brothers and I went out to Stone Mountain Park, just outside Atlanta, for some camping, hiking, and to enjoy the laser show. This is a fun show (mostly focusing on southern pride, true) that they project on the side of the mountain after dark. It's about 45 minutes long, and I've seen it evolve through the years to include different songs and pyrotechnics.
There's one song, though, that has stayed in every version I've seen, and I was glad to see it made the most recent cut. It's a version of Battle Hymn of the Republic. I have to confess......it's about the cheesiest thing I've ever seen.........and I absolutely love it. The projection shows several civil war scenes, and then as the music dramatically builds to the point of "His truth is marching on" they first show a soldier throwing down his sword, the momentous handshake, and a map of the north and south being united. Invariably someone starts cheering at this point, which leads to a roar of applause from the crowd on the lawn. Seriously, it's so great. :)
My next favorite part is Devil Went Down to Georgia. Classic.
I think you might be able to see/hear part of it here.
Here are some pics from the excursion--
The sites at this park are soo close together. I took this from our campsite, but that was our neighbor's tent. It actually made me a little claustrophobic to have them so close, epecially since there were so many open sites further away. Go figure.
The Stone Mountain carillon. Doubt I could spend the night in this one as easily as we did in the BYU bell tower...
Nathan has reached a new level of mastery in smore-making.
This was about 45 minutes before the show started.
From the top of Stone Mountain, enjoying the beautiful view of smoggy Atlanta.
2 comentarii:
That's my chair!
I loved tha laser show!!
Trimiteți un comentariu